HOW TO CLEAR RIMC EXAM IN FIRST ATTEMPT
Colonel Amardeep Singh, SM (Retd)
Director, The Winning Edge Defence Academy
9. English 125 Marks (90 Min)
· Reading Section – 25 Marks
· Writing Section – 45 Marks
· Grammar – 55 Marks
Section A: Reading Section
· Passage (15 marks) with simple questions and also based on vocabulary
· Poem (10 marks) with simple questions and also based on vocabulary like synonyms, antonyms from the passage itself
Section B: Writing Section
· Email – 7 marks
· Article writing (about 120 words) – 10 marks
· Dialogue completion – 8 marks
· Letter (120 words) – 10 marks
· Picture writing (about 120 words) – 10 marks
Section C: Grammar
· Transformation of sentences like direct indirect, active passive, begin and end with instructions type – 10 marks
· Synonyms, same meaning different words like upset and sad – 5 Marks
· Homophones (similar sound different voice) like dear and deer – 5 marks
· Arranging parts of a sentence in proper order – 5 marks
· Correct form of verb – 10 marks
· One word substitution – 10 marks
· Spelling correction – 5 marks
· Articles – 5 marks
· Correction of sentences – 5 marks
· Idioms and phrases – 5 marks
· Conjunctions – 5 marks
· Prepositions – 5 marks
10. Mathematics 200 Marks (90 Min)
· Part A – 20 Questions each carrying five marks
· Part B – 10 Questions each carrying ten marks
• Number System
• Profit & Loss
• Data Interpretation
· Value of Angles
· Area & Perimeter
· Surface Area & Volume
12. General Knowledge – 75 Marks (60 Min)
• 75 Questions carrying 1 mark each
• Current Affairs
• Static GK
• General Science
● Total English Class 10th ICSE
● Newspaper reading for enhancing vocabulary and grammar
how to prepare for rimc entrance exam
Preparation Strategy for RIMC Exam
18. RIMC written exam requires deliberate preparation. I would suggest a two-year model. The child should start focused study from Class 5th onwards.
19. It is better to prepare for Sainik School and Rashtriya Military School Entrance in the first year. This will clear the basic concepts as well as psychologically condition the student for competitive exam. The students should appear for both AISSEE (for Sainik School Class 6th) and CET (for Rashtriya Military School Class 6th) before appearing for the RIMC Exam.
20. While preparing for Sainik School Exams, a video or correspondence course for RIMC can be subscribed.
21. In the second year, students should focus on the RIMC Entrance Exam. First 6 months should be spent in deliberate preparation (first revision) and the next six months should be divided in two slots of four months (second revision) and two months (third revision).
22. In the last six months, the students should attempt all previous years’ papers, which come along with the prospectus and should solve at least 10 Mock Papers.
23. Students should make their own notes and flash cards in their own handwriting.
· Read about 200 to 250 words from English newspapers or any online article everyday.
· Make a notebook and write five new words that you encounter and form sentences over it, again every day.
· Check out the list of 1000 most common antonyms and synonyms from the internet. It will really help you to enhance vocabulary.
· Read the poems prescribed in ICSE class 9th and 10th syllabus.
· Solve class 9th and 10th class papers of ICSE. It gives you a good number of essay topics, good comprehension and a very good grammar practice.
· Solve the previous years’ RIMC papers within the time limit of paper.
· Get your papers corrected by some elder or your teacher.
· Sincerely take out at least 1½ hour for preparation of English.
· Go through all the topics for quick revision.
· Learn squares of natural numbers till 20 and cubes till 15.
· Revise tables till 20.
· Part 1 consists of small questions with 5 marks each for which you need to know very basics.
· RS Aggarwal (CLASS 7 & 8, ICSE) is a good book for practice in mathematics.
· Part B usually consists of word problems and from figure-based questions. English comprehension skills are a must to score in this section.
· Practice of previous years papers of RIMC is the best way to score marks in part 2 of the paper.
· Everyday practice and minimum solving of the previous years’ papers at least 2 times before the exam, makes a good chance to score marks in maths.
26. General Knowledge
· RIMC G.K. Paper consists of 3 topics namely –
· Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
· Social Studies (History, Civics, Geography)
· Current Affairs
· Read newspaper everyday and note down the important events. Focus on When, where, Who and How.
· You can watch weekly news round ups on TV or listen to radio/ podcast for GK
· Recommended Books
· Manorama G.K. Yearbook.
· Lucent’s General Knowledge.
· To prepare for the remaining sections i.e. Science and Social Studies, the candidate is required to solve previous year papers to get an idea of the type of questions asked, most important chapters/topics of these two sections.
27. While the student is preparing for the entrance exam, parents should take care of the following aspects :-
· Time Table : Prepare a separate time table for competitive exam. This should take into account the current academic activities, tests, festivals etc. 2 hours extra study for 4 to 5 days in a week is sufficient in the first one and a half year. This can be suitably increased as the exam gets closer.
· Mock Tests : make the student appear for mock tests under exam like conditions. 10 Mock tests in the last six months will help in building the exam aptitude and confidence.
· Physical Fitness : Encourage the child to play outdoor games. A good physical fitness routine will also help in focusing on the studies.
· Reduce Screen Time : The students should be encouraged to limit the screen time to bare essential. Parents can help in this by carrying out online search for difficult topics.
· Medical : A preliminary medical exam is strongly recommended.
· Positive Push : The stress can be reduced by proper planning. The syllabus should be distributed over two years. The student should be encouraged to compete in a positive frame of mind.
· Plan B : In case the student is not able to clear the exam, he/she should be encouraged to appear for Class 9th Exam for Sainik School and Rashtriya Military Schools. Having a Plan B will save effort and money.
· Seek Help : Most of the parents are not clear about the eligibility, documentation, syllabus and paper pattern. It is better to take help from professionals who have been preparing candidates for the exam.
28. With proper planning and preparation, RIMC exam can be cleared in the First Attempt. It can be achieved by joint effort of parents, students and expert teachers. Adequate information is available in the open domain about the exam and the selection process. Stick to the syllabus and study the previous years’ papers carefully. The key to success lies in starting well in time and consistent effort, aided by correct guidance.